Dr. Yao was born and raised in a Catholic home in 1918. His parents were both members of the Catholic Church in Mainland China. He completed his education easily in a monastery because of his parents’ influence and constant prayers.
In 1930, he went to Santo Moss University where he obtained a master’s degree in philosophy and later took a doctor’s degree.
Dr. Yao was a Catholic father since 1944 and became the principal of Sante Elementary School in Mainland China. It is for this reason that he decided to come to Taiwan to build Sacred Heart School and devoted himself to education.
The chaotic situation in Mainland China made people sense danger everywhere. The authorities of the Chinese Communist party gave orders to arrest Catholic fathers and sisters and send them to jail. When Dr. Yao heard this news, he decided to leave without saying farewell to his families. There was no need for him to sacrifice his life. He escaped from China and was permitted to go to Taiwan in the winter of 1953 with the assistance of church members, Catholic fathers, and Taiwan’s bishops. At that time, he received orders to go to Ilan to preach.
He received orders from Archbishop Kuo to go to the Catholic church at Hsinyi Road in Keelung City where he continued preaching.
He was assigned to preach in the Yuyuan Alley in Anle District. In 1956, he preached for the Catholic church in Jhongshan District and Anle District.
He founded Sacred Heart Kindergarten in 1962. It opened its doors to a modest group of only fifteen students and two teachers.
By 1963, the school moved to a building behind the church at 166 Siding Road. The founder, Dr. Yao, set up a clinic and hired Dr. Liu for seeing patients. Sisters were also invited to preach in church and school in 1964.
The founder’s efforts and perseverance brought forth the opening of Sacred Heart Elementary School in 1965. It was the only private elementary school in Keelung City.
The elementary department admitted students, and provided good Catholic education to the families of Keelung City.
In 1965, Cardinal Kao was invited to extend good wishes when the abbey was built.
Consequently, the school expanded to set up Sacred Heart Technical and Commercial Vocational Senior High School in1969. It was approved and accredited by the Department of Education.
Sacred Heart Technical and Commercial Vocational Senior High School began to accommodate its enrollees in 1971. It opened its programs in the Mechanical Department, the Electrical Department, the Commercial Department, and others.
During 1972, the school applied to set up an extension school which was approved.
Parents Honor Building was established in 1974.
God Worship Building was established in 1975.
Dr. Yao planned to develop the land in Nanrong Rd. for building up a junior college of industry. However, the application was turned down by the Government in 1975.
Dr. Yao was promoted as a Monsignor by Pope Paul VI.
To provide an atmosphere more conducive to learning, the God Worship Building was enrlarged as fourth floor building in 1979.
The back building of Parents Honor Building was also extended in 1980 and finished in 1982.
Served as a main member of economy committee a suffragan in Taipei area.
Purchased about 2000 level ground from military in 1985.
Dr. Yao was announced as a superintendent of Cardinal Tien Hospital in 1985 by Bishop Jia. Then in 1986, he started the establishment of Fu-jen Medical School. He only raised 10 million, and two lands cost up to billions.
Sacred Heart Building and the undergrounded Gym were built up in 1987.
Because of the lymphoma, Dr. Yao quit the job in Cardinal Tien Hospital in 1990.
The Department of Education gave the school permission to set up an Academic Department in 1990. The name of the school changed to Sacred Heart Private High School. At this moment, the founder has become older. Because of all the hard work over many years, he decided to retire as principal and Mr. Shih Yi-tsai was appointed as the new principal.
An Honor Degree in Law as a Doctor’s degree was given by Fu-jen University in 1991.
The Junior High School Department was approved by the Department of Education in 1995.
The school’s journey forward to form committed students continues. The events of yesterday now become lessons of today, which help the school face its tomorrow with firmness and constancy. The school hopes to move onward to the bright promise of tomorrow for its beloved students.